Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Commentary On Getting Old


PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE


A Q&A web site posted the following question pertaining to getting old. Below is my response:

QUESTION:


What is old age to you?


We have heard 40 is the new 30, but yet I think "old" seems to always stay the same distance for me. At 25 I thought 50 was old, at 35 I thought 60 was old, now I have hit 50, 75 is old.I know true age is more a matter of mind, but I would love to know how old you are and at what age you think you will be old.


MY ANSWER


I took a fall on the ice a few winters ago in front of the Middle School and 2 dozen 5th graders. The fall didn't hurt nearly as much as the laughter and the subsequent whispers later that year, "There goes that old guy again, do you think he might fall?"   He looked just like a helicopter!


I took a nap out in the wildlife refuge in a beautiful stand of aromatic pines. When I awoke I found two huge turkey buzzards staring at me intently from their perch nearby. I had known I was getting older but had not realized I had reached the carrion stage.


I reported a pollution spill in the Vermilion River and the Minneapolis paper picked up the story. A reader commented on the web site that the Minnesota pollution control program had now been relegated to an "Old Guy" in a vets home. 


I feel fine about getting old. It's how I am perceived by others that bothers me.

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

Laughing out loud. I found this hillarious.